Animals in Danger

What to Do if You See Animals in Danger?

Most people hear about or witness animal mistreatment at least once in their life.

Often people do not know what is considered correct treatment and which occasions should be reported.

The animal welfare officials decide whether to take further actions. Please report all occasions even though you would not be sure if the law being broken or not. Do not hesitate to ask for help – it is for the animal’s best.

Mistreatments should be reported to animal welfare authorities (municipal veterinarians, supervising veterinarians, state veterinarians and the police) or SEY’s animal welfare counsellor.

SEY’s animal welfare counsellors are animal welfare educated citizens working on a voluntary basis. They observe ethical precepts and professional secrecy. In mild cases, the SEY’s animal welfare counsellors instruct the owners to treat their animals better, whereas in aggravated ones, they contact the animal welfare authorities.

How Acute is the Case?

If you hear about or see an animal in an urgent need of help, please contact the police or the official veterinary surgeon acting as an animal welfare authority.

Immediate help may be needed, for instance, if animal is:

- physically mistreated;
- starved or dehydrated;
- kept in too cold or hot a place;
- in danger of being hit by a car;
- penned on a balcony.

If you are unsure of the acuteness, you may contact the SEY’s animal welfare counsellor.

Non-Acute Cases

If you know or suspect that an animal is in need of help but not within the next couple of hours or the same day, you should contact the acting veterinary or SEY’s animal welfare counsellor.

Quick but not necessarily acute help is needed if you suspect that:

- someone operates a puppy mill;
- a dog is not walked often enough;
- a dog spends his time alone outdoors without stimuli or exercises;
- an animal needs a new home;
- a cowshed or a stable is not up to the statute;
- the cleanliness of cats’ environment is not taken care of.

Wild Animals in Danger

Helping an injured wild animal is a duty of a citizen and the most important task of animal welfare authorities. Any injured wild animal should be reported to the emergency exchange. SEY’s animal welfare counsellors offer help as well.

Young wild animals do not usually need help – their parent supervises them even though they seem abandoned. If you are even slightly unsure of an animal’s situation, contact the SEY’s animal welfare counsellor. Do not touch the young before speaking to an expert. Especially the prospect of a young brown hare collapse if they are taken to human facilities without reason.

Lost, Found and Strays

Lost and found animals as well as sightings of strays should be reported to a local rescue house and to a local animal welfare association. Furthermore, it is advisable spread the information online, for example on or social media.

Subscribe to SEY's Kirjekyyhky-newsletter